Tuesday, September 25, 2012

When Life Hands you Lemons make.... Lemon Chicken?



Mondays are tough for anyone; It's the first day back to work after a nice relaxing weekend. But, for me  I spread myself pretty thin on Mondays. Monday is, generally, my late night to work in my classroom preparing anything I may need for the week and now I head off to church at 6:30. So the thought of cooking a nutritious meal just isn't even feasible. That's why I have decided to make Mondays slow cooker nights. It is easy to throw it all in the pot before I leave for work and have a great meal when I get home.  Whenever the hubs and I are looking for a quick meal we head to the local grocery store and pick up a rotisserie chicken from the deli section. He always asks for a lemon pepper chicken, but I like a little more kick to my chicken and he usually goes along with my whines and demands and agrees to getting the mojo chicken.  Ahhh I digress, back to the slowcooker Mondays.  So this Monday I decided, being the great wife I am, I would find a recipe for lemon rotisserie chicken for the slowcooker. After searching the internet, I came to the conclusion there was no recipe for lemon rotisserie chicken any where to be found therefore, I needed to come up with my own recipe. I had committed to my idea of slowcooker lemon chicken and I was sticking to it! I did have another recipe for a slowcooker chicken and thought I will use this guide my way.   If I do say so myself, the chicken was awesome! I  don't really like lemon chicken (but I don't hate it either), but I would make this again in a heartbeat. When I took it out of the slowcooker it was cooked to just the right temperature- it was juicy and just fell right off the bone (so needless to say there is no beautiful display picture).  I truly recommend this chicken recipe as it was pretty easy and makes a great meal or two depending how many you are feeding.  So here's the dish:



You will need: 
        • 1 broiler/fryer chicken
        • 1/2 tsp of oregano
        • 1/2 tsp of basil
        • 1/4 tsp of parsley
        • 2 sprigs of rosemary and one peeled/plucked sprig
        •  1 minced garlic clove
        • red pepper flakes to taste (optional)
        • salt and pepper to taste (like my cute salt and pepper shakers of me and the hubs, a gift from my sister-in-law?)
        • 3 lemons
Directions:
 First clean chicken and remove the insides. Then dry chicken and place inside slowcooker.  
Next, in small bowl combine oregano, basil, parsley, peeled/plucked rosemary sprig, minced garlic, a shake of the red pepper flakes, salt, pepper, and the juice from one lemon. Stir until it makes a sort of paste substance.
The paste mixture in the small bowl.
 Next, scoop some of the paste and rub it on the inside of the chicken.
  Then, rub the remainder of the paste on the outside of the chicken.

The inside and outside of the chicken coated in paste.
 Once the chicken is coated inside and out, using the second lemon, squeeze lemon juice over the chicken.
 *Tip: roll with slight pressure the lemon on the counter before cutting or squeezing this makes it easier to get the lemon juice out.*
 Next, place the two rosemary springs in the slowcooker (I broke my sprigs in half so the rosemary was spread out more in the slowcooker). Then clean and slice the last lemon and place the slices in the slowcooker.
Finally, put the lid on it and cook on low for 8 hours!

Ready to top with the lid!

What it looks like in the slowcooker after 8 hours.

Like I said, it  cooked  to just the right temperature -fall off the bone- so this was the prettiest picture I could get of the finished product.

 

3 comments: